Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 25: Dinner with a Popular Notion

Whoops!  I jumped ahead looking at the list and spent my time today thinking about a popular notion I would like changed, instead of someone in history I would like to have dinner with.  Since it's my blog, I'm making the executive decision to flip flop, and make tomorrow "Famous Person in History" day, and today, it's "EXPLORE the INNER WORKINGS OF EDUCATION" Day.

As they say in Jarassic Park (the Original of course...).  "Hold onto your butts!"

There are so many things I could talk about.  State mandated testing, how the people who make decisions have most likely never stepped foot in a classroom, let alone taught for an extended period of time in one, how every year I get a salary "increase" I actually make less money because with that increase comes an increase in my contribution towards retirement, taxes, and health insurance (don't get me started.  The longer I teach, the less I make.  And the more work I'm required to do!  I shouldn't say every year.  Last year I made 5 extra dollars.  I spent it each month on a Redbox, medium fry and large coke at McDonalds.  Be jealous :))

And with all of the above topics that I would be more than happy to visit with you about, today, I choose...

It's Okay that Teachers Don't Make as Much Money, They Love What They Do

Now, I do love what I do, but believe me.  There are days that I wished I loved to be an architect also.  I dream of loving a job that pays a salary that would allow for some flexibility in spending each month.  Scott and I have a home and live like we do because we live on a strict budget (and we have a LOT of help from our family).  I dream of days when I'm not tallying our expenses with each purchase we make.

I went to a Christmas party last year with some staff members and I left feeling so sad.  Without finances being the topic I was a part of three different conversations.  Each conversation was about doing without just for the opportunity to have one child.  One.  It meant no vacations.  One car.  Cutting back on grocery bills. 

I'm not talking cutting out the all expenses paid resorts and imported cheese and wine.  I'm talking regular living expenses.  And these families have two parents with full time, salaried positions. 

Our job is to provide an education and life experiences to children.  My whole day consists of making sure that children have all the resources they need to be well rounded and educated and I and my colleagues go home and struggle to do that, at times, for our very own children.  Children are our passion.  We want to teach them and have our own to impart our wisdom on. 

I know money is tight in a lot of families.  I know it's not just teachers.  I know some families have made huge sacrifices to keep their homes, live where they want, etc.  I'm not trying to say "join my pitty party"  I am saying that perhaps loving what you do is not reason enough to keep the status quo.  I would not be depressed if I got to love what I do and make some money while doing it... :)

I do love what I do.  It's why I do it.  It's worth it.  I love it.  But, sometimes I wish I loved architecture or engineering also.


1 comment:

Leanne said...

This is a fantastic post, Sarah. I feel the same way about ministry. People say similar things - it's a calling, who cares if you get paid enough to eat! It makes me mad to work with such incredible youth ministers who are responsible for teenagers yet don't have health insurance, don't make enough to live, and are forced to take a second job just to survive. I love that this post isn't a pity party. Thank you for shedding light on a very important topic!