Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 21: Superpower

If I could have any super power, what would it be, and what would I do with it first?

Two little second graders touched my heart this 8th day of school.  We wrote list poems with sentence starters. 

For example:

I am _____
I wonder _____
I touch ____
I worry ____

18 second graders wrote very egocentric poems (appropriate for their age, and very cute.  We are saving them with the hope that some of them decide they want to make a final copy.  I think parents will really enjoy seeing what most 2nd graders are thinking about...

2 second graders seemed very touched by problems in the world.  One worried about sick children and the other wrote about wanting to be a good man when he grew up and wanted to donate his toys to kids in need.

Amazing.  It was so genuine and honest. 

So, for my super power I would like to make people feel happy and safe.  My biggest fear is that Audrey will get sick.  How will we find our strength when she needs us more than ever?  Our little-girl night time prayer ends with the prayer that all the sick babies, their mommies, and daddies find peace and safety, even if for a brief moment, with their thoughts.  The first thing I would do with my super power is try to comfort as many people as possible. 

These two little honest second graders are the future for this country and they are already making strides to think of others in an honest and genuine way.

And that, in itself, is kind of a real life super power, don't you think?

No comments: