Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 3: Family Relationships

I know the idea is to post about my relationship with my parents, but I would rather focus on my relationship AS parents.  I love my parents.  I have an individual relationship with each of them that I wouldn't trade for the world, and each relationship is different and unique.  I hope they read this blog and see that not only do I love them for being the parents they are to me and Scott, but also for being the grandparents they are to Audrey.

My relationship as a parent is something I spend a lot of time thinking about.  Being a parent has been something Scott and I have always spoken about, even when we were first dating.  We did the typical "I'll NEVER parent like that (lie) or MY child will not do _____ (another lie), but we had not idea what we were really in for.

I can't speak for Scott, but becoming a parent in a relationship was something that was difficult for me.  I have loved Audrey more than I can ever describe from the moment I knew she was even beginning to grow, and I've never seen someone love their little girl more than Scott (I'm sure every mom feels this way, but sorry folks, I'm right... ) :)  It wasn't always kittens and butterflies though.  Scott and I had to learn to evolve in our relationship from being married and independent and married with a child.  It wasn't always smiles and hugs.  I never doubted our love but it took a lot of communication, conflict, tears, and laughter to evolve into our relationship as parents.  It's hard to find that balance of maintaining an adult identity while also spending all of your time with your tiny little human.  We were tired, anxious, and also wildly happy with our new little family.

I'm not saying we're experts.  Each day brings decisions and compromises.  What do we say when she wants sweets between meals?  How much tv does she watch?  Who watches her while the other cleans (okay, those who know us know who cleans our house...).  Who leaves work early to get home in time to make dinner, play, and snuggle?  There are times our anxieties and sleep deprivation catch up to us and we lose sight of the bigger picture, but I would say our relationship as parents is one of love, respect, and most of all laughter.  It's because of our parents that we are where we are today, and hopefully someday Audrey will say the same of us.  My hope is that my relationship as a parent is a model of love, respect, humour, and trust.

No comments: