Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 29: Misunderstood

What do you think people misunderstand most about you?

Before I'm misunderstood I have an Audrey anecdote to share.  I took Audrey for a run tonight around the Windsor Lake.  It was windy and the stroller was acting like a sail (WHAT! OUR GIANT STROLLER DOES NOT HAVE WIND DYNAMICS?  SHOCKER, I KNOW!)

As I was puffing for my last breath (1 mile in) I gasped "Audrey, you're heavy"

-cue Kristen Wieg

Audrey - Sssorry

Seriously.  It was straight from Saturday Night Live, with a little attitude mixed in.  If you aren't familiar with my reference, this might not be very funny.  Go Youtube Kristen in her Gilly role, and you'll get a great image.  If I had any air capacity to spare I would have gotten a big laugh out of it.  Instead, I gasped a chuckle and trudged on.

Now, being misunderstood.

I think I'm misunderstood when I first meet people.  I can come on a bit strong... and since you have all had a first encounter with me this is not unfamiliar territory.  I forget that people don't know my sense of humor when they first meet me and I can cross some barriers without meaning to.  The good news is all of you have given me a second chance to make a first impression, and hopefully coming on too strong has become an endearing quality in your minds.   I love to joke around, so if you ever question whether or not I'm joking, it's 99.999999999% yes.  The .0000000001 is if your name is if I'm woken up from a nap (I try not to nap b/c when I wake up it's ugly). 

Thankfully our first impression moments have come and gone.  It might be best to provide warnings to people you see making their first encounter.  Tell them to give me another chance.  As I saw on a Pre-Schooler's shirt today "My Name is Awesome". 

Nice to meet you :)


No comments: