Monday, August 4, 2008

How to be sure you have health insurance 101.

Well, I'm officially NOT an employee of the Center School District in Kansas City, which also means that I'm officially NOT covered by Coventry Health Care as well. My new coverage starts the first of October, and normal people just suck it up and wait the two months and hope against hope they don't have a ruptured spleen or anything.

Well, I am not normal.

My anxiety revolves COMPLETELY around diseases and rare, deathly and horrifying conditions. So going without coverage would, in my mind, ensure that I

a. rupute a spleen/apendix/colon/ear drum etc.
b. contact hepatitis
c. have a heart atack
d. grow any number of tumors
e. break a bone
f. lose my vision/hearing/sense of taste
g. cut myself and bleed to death
h.....you get the picture.

So, knowing how I am about wanting coverage (and needing coverage to stay on my medication so that I don't make a bad first impression by asking my collegues to feel something and see if it's a tumor in an awkward body spot...) I went online to look for short term coverage.

I went online using Scott's laptop, which has a touchy sense pad right below the thumb. I was compairing two different plans, made my choice, and all was going well. I had entered my credit card info, and was ready to finalize the account when my thumb tripped the sensory pad, and I was taken away from the website.

So, I navigated back, NO PROB., logged onto my account, and started again. I found it odd that I was entering in all the information again, and worried a little that something had gone wrong, but all the questions were different, so I thought perhaps I had more survey to go. So I get to the point where you put your credit card in, and PRESTO....signed up for the OTHER account that I had been comparing. It's not the one I want, so I went BACK to my profile, found the other account (so I thought,) went BACK in, started from scratch, entered my credit card info (this is where a normal person would stop. But, I mention again, when I'm anxious, I'm not normal. I couldn't stop. I had to have coverage, and the coverage I wanted). So now I've entered my credit card number 3 times, I log off the site, check my e-mail...

And you guessed it. I've signed up for 3 policies. Two of them identical. So now I'm in the middle of calling companies and deleting credit card charges, and am worried I'll go down to NO coverage, which again brings me back to my concerns about medical phenomena (see list a-h)

I'm about to go out of town with my dad, Anne, Scott and Brian, and when I return in a week, I hope to be sorted out, medicated, and happy:)

Wish me luck :)

No comments: