Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Take a bite out of the big apple

I recently took a trip to New York City with my mom, one of her friends from college and her daughter (a resident of the big apple). Spending time with people that live in New York is an interesting experience because it is so different than life anywhere else. They don't have to drive anywhere, everything they need is a short walk away, they have the best shopping, interesting historical sights and tons of people to watch.

We stayed in a really nice hotel on the Upper East Side and got BED BUGS. Well, mom and I didn't, but my mom's friend did, even in her LUGGAGE. It was totally disgusting. We didn't realize until after we left the hotel that my mom's friend had bug bites on her leg. Then mom said "come to think of it, I killed a few bugs while we were there" Unluckily for the hotel our flights were canceled so we had time to go back to the hotel (not to stay) and let them know that perhaps they should inspect. GROSS. Even typing about it makes me itch. I took photos of the bites because they were going to inspect and then give my mom and her friend a refund (of course...BED BUGS ARE GROSS) and will now remember the bed bugs for life :) If you would like your own copy of the photos, I can hook you up :)

Seeing people interact and exist so differently from us made me wonder...how would our lives be changed if we changed just ONE choice in our lives. If I had decided to stay in OK for college, what would I be doing now? If I had decided to move to New York, who would I be? One life choice could have drastically changed my entire existence. I'm not a believer that there is one person out there that is our soul mate. Would I be married? Would I have met someone like Scott? Would I have met Scott? Would I be a teacher? It really made me stop and think about where I was, and the life choices we have made recently, and how they potentially changed our lives forever.

What would have happened had Scott not gotten the job in Colorado? We were happy in Kansas, we had friends, and I liked my job (although Scott didn't hence the job search), we liked our house, we had a yard for the dog, we were getting paid well (in regards to our professions), and we had the two cutest nephews to see every week.

Now we live in Colorado, in a condo, without many friends (yet), with smaller salaries, Scott's working more hours, we have no nephews, the dog has no yard, and starting my new job makes me anxious. So one life choice caused an avalanche of new, scary, exciting and different opportunities.

I think the thing that is the most reassuring, after thinking through all the life choices we make, is I know that I am happy. I know I married someone that I can trust, that I find handsome, that is kind to everyone, makes me laugh, and above all that I love very much. I know I love to teach, I know that I love being closer to my mom and Bob and Luke.

I think it boils down to this. Life is what you make of it. Whether you're an investment banker that has the cash to buy designer clothes and chase celebrities or a 2nd grade teacher shopping at Target, if you're pleasant and kind to others, your life path will continue to be full of hope and enjoyment.

And it never hurts to travel to the opposite spectrum and experience life through others eyes for a bit.

2 comments:

Leanne...the walker. said...

Beautiful, Sarah! So true. You did forget to talk about Scott's incredible anger issue, though... ;-)

The Ward Wards said...

Scott was too angry with the post...I didn't want to mention it.

I'm glad you made it to Puerto Rico safely!!