Friday, July 29, 2011

One of Those Moms...

I never thought I would be one of those moms. The moms who have dirty toys around the house and the high chair full of caked-on baby food. I always thought having dirty toys and a dirty high chair was disgusting and couldn't see why parents didn't do a better job tidying up after their tiny tot.

Well. Now I understand. It is impossible to keep Audrey's toys clean. I'm not talking about the rattles and the stuffed animals. Those are easy to wash. A quick toss in the dishwasher or washing machine and DONE! No. I'm talking the play gym that Audrey adores sitting in. The one with 16 million detachable toys and a mirror (she takes after her mother and adores looking at herself for hours on end...). This convertible of baby toys has what seems like a million nooks and crannies for slobber/baby food/spit up to fall between that even the most diligent baby wipe cannot defeat. The moment I clean the little baby mirror Audrey's slobber finger swipes across leaving the slimiest of smudge marks... It never fails! If I were to really clean it I would have to completely disassemble the darn thing and put it together every 15 min. I can tell you, that is not a good use of time.

The high chair is another story. Even though I spent my days feeding other babies growing up I never really paid attention to how much babies LOVE to get food EVERYWHERE in their high chair. I don't think the little strap that holds Audrey in will ever be the same now that colored foods have entered her diet. Again, it would be possible to scrape and clean every nook EVERY time she eats but I have found 6 month olds do not enjoy sitting idly by while you scrub a high char down with a q-tip.

Now, I'm not complaining about any of the above, I'm just stating my reality check. Baby toys/high chairs are slimy so when you go to the second hand store and see someone's used treasure... don't judge!


No comments: