So: District walk through.
Let me set the stage. Our district is coming up with a new way to evaluate teachers quickly with "10 min. walk throughs" where someone comes in your room for 10 min, looks at what you are currently doing, and gives you feedback. This is nothing new to me, we did this all the time in Missouri, but for the friends in Colorado, this is a big deal, and everyone was nervous.
I know they were nervous because when I walked in the building everyone was dressed in slacks and nice shirts with jewelry, while I had on a jean skirt and a t-shirt that said "Laugh. Dance. Vote" Already off to a great start.
So this day happens to be the most rediculous day in my classroom so far (of course). We are in the middle of learning about campaigns (this comes in handy later). The kids have written a campaign speach for their favorite holiday, and made a campaign sign, and one of my highest reading groups is reading "Ramona and her Father" where campaigning is involved (more on that in a bit).
SO right before the superintendent walks into my classroom to observe, all hell breaks loose. One of my kids has asthma, and she's crying because she does not feel well. One of my kids is, how do we say nicely, IMPATIENT and stuck her hand in the pencil jar while someone else was choosing a pencil and got her hand stuck, so she was crying (large dramatic sobbing tears), one of my kids got in trouble in his reading group with another teacher, so he comes in sobbing, and my autistic child is feeling "itchy" so she's sobbing, and loudly saying "I'm itchy. I'm itchy". I get everyone settled, and sobbing quietly, while being watched in the mean time and think "well, nothing else could really go wrong...the kiss of death of course.
I sit down with my highest reading group, which is reading Ramona and Her Father (which I mentioned earlier). Well, in this story, Ramona, who is also in 2nd grade, father loses his job, and takes up smoking as a stress reliever (the book is obviously from a while back)...and the day before, when I was NOT being observed, we had talked at LENGTH about the dangers of smoking, and why it is not good for you, and why it was in this book. Well...of course the superintendent MISSED that part. All she got to overhear was us reading the word "cigarette" over....and over....and over... and over....
So when she left I went to my principal and said "Whatever they say about my classroom, sadly it's all true..."
I promise, I'm a really good teacher! It just happened that day to look like I was smacking my kids around and teaching them the word "cigarette"....over...and over...and over...
I got the set of books from our library thank you very much.
DANGER...DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN.
I'm going to bury this part of the blog hoping that I won't make any of my friends upset :) If you did not know I voted for Barak before, perhaps you should know that I did, and if that is upsetting, you should stop reading :)
I really am warning you...I have a lot to say, and it's not always pleasant.
Number 1: HIP!
Number 2: HIP!
Number 3: HOORAY!
To me, the difference between being a democrat and being a republican is we both feel strongly about what we believe, the democrats are just smarter (just kidding, just kidding, but it's my way of making sure you TRULY want to continue reading).
I am so happy that finally, the person I felt would be the best man for the job, won the election.
I had a lot more typed, but I erased it. It's not important. What's important is that I love my family, I love my husband, I love my dog, someday I want kids and I'm thankful I have the freedom to do so.
Also, I love gay marriage. I can't believe you California. You really let me down.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment