One day I came home and Scott had lost his mind, I mean, decided to garden and dug up the two rose bushes. I love roses, but we never got one single darn cottin-pickin blossom (in two years). I rose a stink about missing my beloved plants but it was too late. They were compost.
That was the beginning of the end. Without those rose bushes our entry garden turned into this:
A sad display of home ownership. Without the roses we couldn't even pretend the randomness was on purpose. And every time we drove into our drive way we were reminded how great the other gardens in the neighborhoods looked. Also, notice the protective ground covering peeking out underneath the awesome display of red mulch...
Did this inspire us? NOPE. Not at all. Like I said, we are NOT gardeners. Our front garden has looked like this for two years. With the exception of the 3 bushes you see here:
I got a wild hair last year (and sadly, when I went back to look for an old post realized it was TWO years ago...) and planted these bushes and wrote about it here.
Those bushes (minus the pink plant that bit the dust) at least mask the dastardly scene that greets guests as they arrive and kept us content... Until today.
Today, we decided to grab the nice weather by the horns and head to Lowes. And wouldn't you know it, we left Lowes with TWO cart-loads full of gardening essentials.
Did I mention we drove the Civic?
After fitting all our purchases safely in the car and making sure the humans were also safely secured we started the two-block journey back to Casa-De-Ward. Audrey kindly bowed out for her afternoon nap and we got to work!
One of the reasons we have not tackled this project sooner is the front spicket. It is hidden behind a massive evergreen bush that causes unknown rashes and fits of coughing when rustled. Attaching the hose to the spicket was a job for Scott. He got dressed in snowstorm gear and headed in. All the while I raked the mulch - out with the old, in with the new.
While Scott battled mega-bush I raked... and raked... and raked... and raked, and FINALLY pulled that ever-loving-ground-covering-nasty-mold-infested covering off the garden.
Then, we were faced with this:
Scott's reward for battling mega-bush was shoveling old mulch away from the sidewalk. Although a slow task at first Scott quickly saved the day and came prepared with the snow shovel which more than quadrupled our mulch-heaving speed.
The two of us were at our finest: I was gripping and ripping it getting plants into their new homes while Scott swept the side walk and made sure each plant was watered and the dirt was arranged nicely in the bed. We were constantly commenting how nice it was to have access to that front spicket. "What a treat to finally be able to access the water supply in the front yard" - "this will help the grass grow in trouble spots" - "why didn't we do this years ago?"
After a 3 hour nap from my favorite little bug we were almost finished! Not only was the garden prepped and watered but Audrey's Mother's Day pot was filled and proudly displayed on the front step (It's yellow, with her hands and foot prints).
The end result may not look like much to you, and we joke that our baby-plant garden will look much better in a few years, but we can't stop staring at it. We went on a walk around the block just to come back home to NOT be embarrassed.
Hahaha...Did I forget to mention that we found out the front spicket has a leak and our basement now has a leaky ceiling and we have a plumber coming tomorrow?
Sigh. We were not meant to garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment