Sunday, June 19, 2011

Green Thumb


Well anyone who knows Scott or me knows we are terrible at incredibly simple things. While Scott can maintain a spotless household and I can make a mean bowl of macaroni and cheese, things like fixing the toilet, calking the sink, and keeping the grass green have given us a run for our money. It should come as great surprise that I decided to spend the weekend growing a green thumb. You see, it all started with this:



Yes. That's right. An incredibly fine and lovely patch of daisies that grew in the flowerbed at the foot of our house (no thanks to us...they just happened to pop up thanks to the previous owners). Upon arriving home the other night I felt the pansies had gotten out of control and were taking over the flower bed. I decided I would "thin out" the pansies and coordinate them so the bed would have a pattern of colors and look more orderly. I didn't think to take a picture of the before picture because, as usual, I decided this on the spot and made if my afternoon goal without much thought or planning.

This was the result of my hard work:



That's no hail storm folks. That's my beautiful patch of pansies "thinned out". I wish I could say this is due to lack of care or water but sadly, this is the way it looked minutes after the completion of my project.

Well obviously this wouldn't do. Not only did it look like the saddest garden in the neighborhood it also bruised my gardening self-esteem. If you look around ANY neighborhood you will find perfectly fine and un-trampled gardens, and if all of these strangers can have a garden then DARN IT so can I!

I piled Scott and Audrey into the car and off to Lowe's we went. Audrey is not a big fan of her car seat as of lately, so Scott carried her around while I chose the perfect assortment (perenials, so I won't have to do this every stinkin' year...). I also outfitted myself with the correct assortment of materials: plants, gloves, spade, rake, potting soil, watering can, and red mulch.

While Scott was busy thinning out some bushes I got to work. I almost threw in the towel as I stumbled upon an ant hill, but with a few quick jabs with my shovel and some slung dirt I forged ahead.



I set up a sweet setup for Audrey so she could spend time outside with the family, and she loved it. While I was digging in the dirt she was busy talking to her toys in the shade of her blanket.

A side note: During this entire gardening process we were under a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch and Tornado Watch". We Wards don't like to garden in convenience. Once we get the itch just TRY and stop us.

A second side note: You can tell by the sun and shadows in the pictures that were got zero rain/storms/weather of any kind. I would at least shelter Audrey from the elements...

With a great deal of dirt slinging we ended up with this:


And while this might not seem like a big deal to you, to us it's fabulous! It's symmetrical, it's covered with fresh mulch...AND IT'S STILL ALIVE MINUTES AFTER I PLANTED IT! The green plants will grow into fabulous bushes, I'm just sure of it, and the pink was a gift, so it's a mystery. A year from now, when I post fabulous updates, you will all be astounded!

As a shout out to my first and ONLY follower, I must also include this next photo:



For Father's Day I attempted another simplistic task and baked my first pie - apple pie - to honor Scott on his first Father's Day. Not only does it look delish, it TASTES delish. Many times I bake desserts and Scott appeases me by having a slice or a bite and saying things like he "just prefers fresh fruit" or he's "not a dessert person" but tonight...he's had two slices :)

Elizabeth - don't you think that Paula Dean would be proud?

If you're not careful, I'll start growing my own vegetables and making my own baby food!




Nah... Prob. not :)

2 comments:

Build and Create said...

This was the best post ever! Not only do I get to sleep now (as I was anxiously awaiting it's arrival) but it included both gardening and cooking. Who knew Mrs. Ward was so domestic? I will be expecting pies from now on.

Sincerely, A satisfied follower

The Ward Wards said...

Few! I'm glad you got some sleep! My next post will probably be about how to eat only frozen raw veggies for a snack instead of bologna and Cheetoh sandwiches. I'm a new woman! :)