Today, one of my students brought up a book from our library that he had checked out. The following is our conversation.
S: Mrs. Ward, I think there is a picture in this book that is inappropriate for school.
Me: Well, let me have a look. Which picture?
S: This picture, right here. See how it has a poster? I don't think the girl on that poster is dressed appropriately.
Book: A picture of Times Square in New York. On one of the ads is what looks like a Rockette in a furry two piece bikini, definitely not appropriate for a second grade book, but only about 1 cent. tall. This kid had to be lookin'.
Me: Yes, I can see what you're talking about, but I don't think this picture is what you think it is. She's going to be in a show. This is her costume.
S: Oh. Okay. But don't you think it's inappropriate for a bird book?
Me: Turn the book over. The title of the book....Great American Birds.
Apparently, birds live in the Northeast, and the best way to describe New York is with a picture of a half dressed woman in Times Square :)
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment