Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So funny!

I know our blogs are supposed to be totally focused around the baby, because the baby is exciting, and growing, and makes itself known these days, but I have two funny stories from work that I feel must be documented.

The first involves a student I had last year. He is one of my most special students, he and I created a bond over Super Mario. He has a tough time at school, and has had some trouble adjusting to third grade, so he and I hang out at recess when I have duty and he is outside playing (a side note: 2nd grade has recess at the same time as 3rd and 4th, so I see my old students weekly, which is AWESOME!) So anyway, on Wednesday morning last week I noticed my little friend moping around the playground, so I went up and asked him to patrol the playground with me so we could chat. We began talking about the usual subjects, Super Mario, trips to Utah, homework, etc, when the conversation took a humorous turn.

Me: " M., how are your sisters doing?"
M: "You know my sister who goes to school here, she is doing fine. But do you remember my sister H?"
Me: "Sure!"
M: Well! She joined the swim team!
Me: "That's great!"
M: "AND! She started her period! And she barely had any cramps at all!"

Me: "Um....FABULOUS!?!"


My other story does involve our little growing human. I am trying to get my students to guess that I am pregnant, rather than just telling them outright. Yesterday, I cracked.

Here are my clues (They go from abstract to what I feel are very obvious)

1. 2+ 1 =3
2.My secret makes me hungry
3. My secret makes my clothes feel tight
4. My secret can get sick from germs (SO WASH YOUR HANDS was the hidden message)
5. My secret has arms, legs, hands, feet, eyes, ears, and a nose
6. My secret needs a place to live (this was the clue the day we bought our house)
7. My secret is with me ALL the time. It's there when I sleep, when I eat, when I work, when I go home, it's in the room RIGHT NOW!

Each day I allow my students to guess my secret in my ear. I told them that once they guessed it became their secret too. Until yesterday, when I cracked, only 2 students had guessed it. Now, I know I'm not huge, but come 3:00 it is obvious that my stomach is not the shape it should be, so while all these clues are being given, I am walking around with what looks like a mini-basketball shoved under my shirt.

My student guesses:
I am getting a new fish (does a fish have HANDS?)
I am getting a dog (Does my dog make my clothes feel tight?)
Mr. Scotty is coming in (Is Mr. Scotty in the room RIGHT NOW???)
and my all time favorite...You are getting a new watch! (WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN!)

This went on for days, students repeatedly guessing the same terrible guesses, but the tipping point occurred as we were leaving yesterday. I was going back through all the clues, while sticking out my stomach and pointing to it, and someone said "OH I KNOW! YOU'RE HAVING A BABY!" To which another student turned and said "THAT was not a good guess."

I cracked. I bellied over laughing and said that YES in fact I WAS having a baby! In February. All the students looked disappointed. I think they were hoping for a fish.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So when do we find out if it's a boy fish or a girl fish? :)