Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Unaware

It's the last week of school you know, and I have a student that is...how shall I say...unaware of most goings-on in the classroom. Just today, on our 30 millionth trip to the computer lab, where each time they squirt their hands with sanitizer, he asked...

"Mrs. Ward? Do I need hand sanitizer?"
"Yes" I say
"Where is it?" He asks, as he is leaning against it's dispenser...where it has been the entire year...

And yesterday, the icing on the cake.

8:45
*Random assortment of students* "MRS. WARD! Our butterflies have hatched!!!"
Due to my compulsive nature to not allow my students to climb all over themselves in the classroom, creating one gigantic mass of 2nd graders in the middle of the floor, I assured them I would bring the butterflies to each of their desks, ONE at a time.

So I do this. I take the butterfly box and put it on EACH students desk, and ask them what they notice and we get all excited to see our butterflies out of their chrysalis homes..

9:45 (an hour later)
My dear little unaware student...

"MRS. WARD! I was just by the bookshelf, and the BUTTERFLIES have HATCHED!"

What more was there for me to say but..

"You bet!" but I wanted to add...

"Try and keep it a secret until someone else notices...."

:) Only 3 days until summer!